Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Dave Plowman (News)

Default High Voltage Wire Nuts?

In article WWV5g.131$Th.35@trnddc03,
James Sweet wrote:
My answer would be don't use wire nuts - they are the spawn of the devil
and the cause of many a fire in the US. They were banned in the UK many
years ago. Use screw terminal connectors.

Properly used, wire nuts work really well, I'm sure everything
electrical has caused a fire at one time or another but I've never heard
of one caused by wire nuts themselves.

The snag with them is they don't form an air tight seal where the wires
touch, so over the years a high impedance connection results. This doesn't
happen with a properly made screw connection.

Screw terminal blocks have their own share of problems, as far as I
know it's not legal to use them for household wiring in the US.

How are wires connected to switches and socket outlets? Surely by screw
connection?

--
*Marriage changes passion - suddenly you're in bed with a relative*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.