Posted to alt.home.repair
RicodJour

Default Brick paver Walkways

James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:
Hiya Folks,
Getting everything in order to install brick pavers at mi casa this summer.
These will be external for walkways and possibly part of my driveway over a
bed of basecourse and sand. Anyway, I've got a few basic questions.
One, I can find 1" Base Course/Crushed rock or 3/4". The price for the 1"
is significantly cheaper so my question is, does it matter that it's a bit
larger than the typical 3/4" stuff? Two, the walkways will have some
curves in them. Do you recommend I just fudge the gaps to make the curves
or cut the bricks. I realize this probably depends on how sharp a curve
but just curious. I've got a wet saw and had planned on cutting so if
that's preferable, then I'll go that route (I think I'd prefer this to
excessive gaps between the pavers). I'd probably have all sorts of
headaches with changing geometry if I'm cutting the bricks though. Anyway,
any other tips or advice is most appreciated.

You should look into pavers that are tapered and designed to create
curves. Far less work than cutting and you won't have those hard
cornered edges of the cut stone - that always looks odd if you use the
typical paver that has eased edges or are tumbled. Rinox is a good
brand. As far as the base course, I usually set walkway pavers in sand
and driveway pavers on crushed rock. As long as you compact the base
well, and use fine aggregate for the actual setting course, the size of
the largest stone doesn't really matter all that much.