Posted to alt.home.repair
JD1

Default insulation help

I just purchased a home built in 1972 outside of Denver CO. it has a
cathedral ceiling throughout with paneling on the ceiling and walls.
I tore off all the paneling to put up drywall and noticed the house
has Rock Wool insulation (R22 on ceiling and R7 on walls) I know the
recommend an R38 on ceiling and R15 on walls but I wasn't sure if I
could just add more over the top or if I would have to remove it and
then add new insulation. My other question is would it be something
that would pay for itself in the end or would the cost exceed what it
would save in energy bills.