Posted to sci.electronics.repair
James Sweet

Default High Voltage Wire Nuts?

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

My question is: Can I use regular wire nuts to make my connections or
do I need to use special 'high voltage' wire nuts to do this safely?
Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

My answer would be don't use wire nuts - they are the spawn of the devil
and the cause of many a fire in the US. They were banned in the UK many
years ago. Use screw terminal connectors.

Properly used, wire nuts work really well, I'm sure everything
electrical has caused a fire at one time or another but I've never heard
of one caused by wire nuts themselves. Screw terminal blocks have their
own share of problems, as far as I know it's not legal to use them for
household wiring in the US.