Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Latex paint over spar varnish?

On Tue, 2 May 2006 15:03:25 -0700, "Teamcasa"
wrote:

"Max" wrote in message
. com...
I have an exterior door that was varnished. I want to paint it the same
color of the trim on the house with latex paint.
What preparation do I need to do?
TIA
Max

Sand it.

Or:
Wipe it down with solvent to clean the foreign oils off and dewax it
(some people do wax the door)
Then wipe it down with denatured alcohol to get the last bit of
solvent off. Solvent leaves a residue.
Then sand it.
Then wipe it down with a damp sponge to get the dust off.
More denatured alcohol to get the water and water borne crap and the
dust you missed off.
Use a decent oil base primer to bite the sanded varnish and give the
latex a good bite.
Then two coats of latex. After a year or two, the latex may still be
stuck to the door or maybe not.

The door, unlike a wall, will get substantial abuse from kicking,
touching, licking (dogs, kids), staining, etc. Why not go with an
oil base paint the same color as the trim?

Pete