Posted to rec.woodworking
B A R R Y

Default No sealer before polyurethane

wrote:
For other than utility furniture, and even some of that, think cabinet
scraper rather than sanding. Much nicer job.

Even better, learn how to properly use both.

In addition to pre-finish preparation, cabinet scrapers are much better
than sanding blocks for removing drips, runs, etc... in dried finishes.

Properly scraped and sanded surfaces will be virtually indistinguishable
from each other, but sometimes, the scraper is so much nicer to use. On
smaller projects I even find scrapers faster, since I don't need to swap
grits.