Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus5749

Default price of contactors (was, " Identifying three phase vs. single phase motor?")

On Tue, 02 May 2006 08:59:09 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:
Ignoramus5749 wrote:

Looking a slightly different way; if you buy the machine and guess wrong, you
then have to find a motor of the correct size and you may have to upgrade the
controls. Motors are generally pretty available at varying cost (I got a 5hp
Leeson single phase motor brand new for my Quincy compressor) but the real cost
killer is if you have to upgrade the mag switch, that can cost you several
hundred dollars if you aren't careful.

Grant

Grant, I respectfully disagree, contactors cost much less than that on
ebay. Example (by far not the best deal)

$15, 5 HP rating at 230v:

some used size 2 starters

Absolutely, no question. However, go buy the right coil and enclosure for any of
those units and you could easily add another $200. I'm speaking from experience
here. I got a Quincy horizontal 2-stage compressor with an ancient 3hp 3ph motor
on it, controls all for 460V. Now a 460V mag switch controlling a 3hp motor is
not very big, plus it had a 460V coil. I wanted the full air output from the
machine, so I wanted to upgrade to 5hp, plus I wanted to switch to single phase
in case I ever wanted to resell it. I found a nice Furnas NEMA size 2½ contactor
for a reasonable price (like one of the prices you cite), bought it, went and
bought a motor, then realized I needed a coil, an enclosure and an AUTO/OFF/HAND
switch, all to fit the Furnas contactor. The tab for those 3 items? Nearly $200!

Sometimes the devil is in the details, and I'm not trying particularly to be
right at all costs here, I just am suggesting that one be fully cognizant of all
the potential costs before starting on a motor swap & reconfiguration.

Yes, the other stuff adds up also...