Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Ignoramus5749

Default More cement mixing, and HF vs. HD

On Tue, 2 May 2006 14:13:03 -0600, James "Cubby" Culbertson wrote:

"Ignoramus19383" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:28:30 -0600, James "Cubby" Culbertson
wrote:

Let's do some math, one cubic yard pour would be 27 bags, at 3 minutes
per bag with a wheelbarrow, it would amount to 81 minutes per cubic
yard. I do not think that slow concrete would even begin to solidify
during this time frame.

Of course climate conditions will determine a lot about how fast stuff sets
up but I poured one full yard using a "Cart Away" type setup. Had to wheel
barrow it over to the hole. Temp was in the 50's. Dryer than hell. The
first bit of concrete was already setting by the time I was half way through
(about 30 mins). Where I picked up the concrete was only about 10 mins
from the pour location and I watched them mix it. I would not have wanted
to try to mix in more per se as it would most definitely have ended up in a
cold joint. I just cannot imagine trying to mix from premixed bags and
pouring more than about 4 batches. Granted, I was working by myself so with
help, you could do more, a lot more probably. One or two mixing and
delivering while the other is levelling and finishing.

I recently mixed three bags of ready mix, setting a mailbox post

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Mailbox/

and it stayed wet and slushy for hours.