Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default No sealer before polyurethane

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

This article mentions "no sanding sealer before polyurethane", but it's
the only article that I found that states that.

http://doityourself.com/info/furniturerefinseal.htm

Is that so? No sealer before polyurethane?

(How about a light sanding after stainer?)

Just like the warning on your lawnmower to keep your fingers out of the
blade, the warning is given because some nimrod is likely to use a stearated
sanding sealer and then complain. If you use a sealer, versus a sanding
sealer, which is normally stearated, and even feels a little soapy, no
problem.

Sanding after staining can really mess the surface. I'd rather scuff the
first coat of dilute poly, which can be used as a sealer.