Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

Default Identifying three phase vs. single phase motor?

Grainger does not list ANY 115/120 volt capable motors at 5 (real) hp.
That works out to a minimum of 31 amps at 100% effiency, more like 40
amps RUN (not start) current.

Ignoramus5749 wrote:
On Tue, 2 May 2006 11:00:33 -0400, Ned Simmons wrote:

In article ,
says...

Someone is offering a Quincy compressor at a reasonable price, but he is
not sure if it is single phase or three phase. I need single phase. The
tag on the motor does not seem to help (he emailed me a close-up photo).
It is dual voltage, 208-230/460. The problem with the tag is that it
has a bunch of numbers, but they are not labeled as to what the numbers
are. :-(

The voltage ratings indicate in a somewhat roundabout way that this is a
3 phase motor. It'd be possible to have a single phase 460V motor, but
in 30 years working around this sort of stuff I've never run across one.
If it were single phase dual voltage the plate would more likely specify
some variation of 230, 115/230, or 115/208-230, though 5HP 115V motors
are pretty unusual.

They are not that unusual, Baldor makes one such popular motor. I
resold one recently.

I agree with everything else that you said.