Posted to uk.d-i-y
Gordon Hudson

Default "Robertson" screwdriver bits

"T i m" wrote in message
On Tue, 2 May 2006 08:35:54 +0100, chris French
wrote:

I happen to have some in cheapo screwdriver/bit set that I bought once,
I suspect some of the bit sets around have them in.

Me too, always wondered what they were ;-)

Having worked with both slotted and socketed (philips, pozi, hex,
spline) screws / bolts over the years I do now feel that our ould
slotted screw is very 'crude', especially in the smaller sizes. The
fact that it won't 'easily' hold a screw on the bit and is pretty
specific about the bit size wrt the slot all makes it more akward.

But once Pozi etc get 'quite big' (or very small like watches /
glasses etc) then I think the old slotted screw seem to come back into
their own?

I like the look of good quality countersunk screws with slot heads.
I have severl boxes I am gradually using up of the higher quality ones
bought from a shop where the man wore a grey overall coat and kept a pencil
behind his ear.
They have very sharp threads and will cut through soft wood. Just make sure
there is enough of a clearance hole drilled.
They work very well into rawplugs because they get thicker towards the head
end unlike a lot of the modern screws.