Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default "Robertson" screwdriver bits

On Tue, 2 May 2006 08:35:54 +0100, chris French
wrote:

I happen to have some in cheapo screwdriver/bit set that I bought once,
I suspect some of the bit sets around have them in.

Me too, always wondered what they were ;-)

Having worked with both slotted and socketed (philips, pozi, hex,
spline) screws / bolts over the years I do now feel that our ould
slotted screw is very 'crude', especially in the smaller sizes. The
fact that it won't 'easily' hold a screw on the bit and is pretty
specific about the bit size wrt the slot all makes it more akward.

But once Pozi etc get 'quite big' (or very small like watches /
glasses etc) then I think the old slotted screw seem to come back into
their own?

I think it's a 'human' thing .. like inches .. (I still have to try
hard to use metric measurements)? ;-)

So, for those that have used these Robinson screws / bits .. what are
the pro's n con's please? They do look like a good idea and in this
country (where they aren't commonly used) could provide a bit of mild
security on 'publically' accessable things?

All the best ..

T i m