Posted to alt.home.repair
Matt

Default Building loose rock wall along a slope

Hello,

I have a series of bushes in my front yard that I'm thinking about
"fencing in" with a rock wall (partly for aesthetics, partly to keep
leaves from blowing into the bushes). I'd have to dig up some bushes
at the front of the bed to make room for the wall. I've posted
pictures he http://filer.case.edu/~mel/rockwall/rockwall.htm.

I've read about building loose rock walls on the Internet, but I
haven't found any talk of building the wall along, as opposed to into,
a slope. I'd estimate the slope to be around 10-15 degrees. The
length of the wall would be about 32 feet as measured along the slope.
At its shortest point, I would plan for the wall to be a foot or so
high.

Are there any special considerations when constructing such a wall
along a slope? Should I stair-step the wall so that sections are about
the same height from ground to top? Or should I make the wall even
along the top for its whole length, which would result in the right
side being much taller than the left. That might not be possible if
I'm trying to keep the wall no higher at any point than the recommended
3 foot height I've read about.

Thanks very much,
Matt