Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
PipeDown

Default Filling gaps in a deck

"Eric Cathell" wrote in message
news:yqx5g.711356$084.320503@attbi_s22...
I have a deck that I am working on. Evidently the wood was majorly wet when
I put it down. On some of the boards the butt seams which were tight, have
gapped in some cases enourmously. A couple of them I replaced with
extras(after letting them sit in the sun for the day). However I cannot
replace all of them.

When I was younger I think I remember my father showing me a trick where
you take scrap wood of the type you are working with. cutting it up to get
sawdust, then mixing the sawdust in woodglue to an appropriate
consistency.....does anyone know of a technique like this? and more
importantly do you think it would work in this instance?

Eric

That's an old trick but I don't think it will work here for several reasons.

1. It sounds like the gap is too big

2. your gap is open on 4 sides, the filler usually works best when only 1 or
2 sides of the gap are open

3. It is outdoor and you want to fill endgrain, this will swell differently
than the rest of the wood and the filler, it would pop off in time.

4. The trick is usually done with white or wood glue which is not
particularly water resistant. I don't know if I would do it with
polyeurethane glue as it would not match well and would be messy as hell.

5. Since you cannot control future swelling and shrinking (well, a bit with
a deck sealer), just about any rigid filler will eventually pop out.

Perhaps you could pull the gap together and glue/nail/screw a splint across
the bottom to keep it together. Might be asking for splitting later.
Besides, the gaps should already be over a joist and both nailed to it so if
that didn't hold it in place, a splint sure wont.

Best to just get used to it and fix the worst ones. A few days is not very
long to season wood, should be more like weeks if it just came off a pallet.

I had a similar problem with a fence but the gaps don't look so bad in that
application so I left it alone.