Posted to rec.woodworking
Don Dando

Default Sanding Sealer before Poly.

My wife does our finishing work. She follows this procedure with excellent
results.: Step 1 stain, Step 2 Sanding Sealer, Step 3 light sanding of
sealer with steel wool, then begin to build up coats with more poly. Steel
wool in between coats. Poly must be well dried or steel particles can get
lodged in soft poly.

In addition to building custom cabinets we also restore classic mahogany
boats. I do the boat finishing. I do not use sanding sealer, I use a 50%
diluted solution of the poly varnish as a primer. Then apply two full
strength coats of Poly before doing any sanding between coats. I apply 8
coats generally sanding between coats only when needed.

To sand seal or not in my opinion is all a matter of what process you work
out that gives you the consistent results you are seeking and you just keep
practicing to get good at it .

We do not sand after staining it could cause light and dark spots,
especially on sharp edges.

Don Dando

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

This article mentions "no sanding sealer before polyurethane", but it's
the only article that I found that states that.

http://doityourself.com/info/furniturerefinseal.htm

Is that so? No sealer before polyurethane?

(How about a light sanding after stainer?)

Thanks!

Aaron Fude