Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Tom Wait

Default More cement mixing, and HF vs. HD

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 May 2006 12:02:21 -0400, Goedjn wrote:

My own situation, tho, sort of condemns me to buying sacks--of something

or
other.
The pouring location is remote from a drop-off point, miserable to

transport
inside, AND I'm only able pour an approx. 3 foot by 14 foot patch at a

given
time, approx. 6" deep, for about 21 cu ft--more than I would want to mix

w/

It's still worth asking a concrete co. if they think they can get
a truck in there. Worst that can happen is they say "no".

There are also many folks with small concrete pumps who do side jobs
on the weekends.

Gunner

I've had a good laff reading all these ideas for placing concrete. Sweat
board? Lets get back into at least the 20th century. If your too tight or
poor to pay cartage on a short load, rent the dump trailer. Around here they
hold 1 yd. That isn't much. If you can't get close enough to dump it into
your forms get a 1wheeled dolly with the metal tray, aka wheelbarrow, and
wheel the mud to the forms. If there is any way to pour the whole floor at
once do it, with ready mix delivered. The mix will be far superior to the
crap in bags which is only suitable for setting fence posts or any thing you
mix yourself from sand, gravel and cement. The mix will be consistant and
well mixed. Home made mud will have pockets with only sand in it. I've
placed way more 'crete than I like to think about in 30 years of
construction. I've made most of the mistakes folks are telling you to make.
The idea is to place as much as you can finish in four hours. That's about
all the time you get. Place it fast and float it immediatly after is is
struck off. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.
Tom