Posted to alt.home.repair
Texas Yankee

Default Rotten egg smell from sink

No, the overflow drain isn't shared between the sinks - and there appears to
be enough water standing in the trap of the sink with the problem so that
there's not an opening where vent gas could come back in. For this reason,
I'm suspect of the vent, versus something that the water heater is doing to
the water - and it's only this one sink - which I (used to) use every day.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
. net...
Is the overflow drain shared between the sinks? Verify the P trap is full
enough to seal off the pipe. A leak in the pipe for the P trap on top of
the pipe may not result in a water leak but would still be open to the
vent.

"Texas Yankee" wrote in message
I have double bathroom sinks - separate p-traps going into the wall for
each sink - each time I turn on the water in sink #2, there's a distinct
rotten egg smell, very briefly, that goes away once the water has been
running for a second or two - looking down into the trap from above the
sink, before I turn the water on, I can see standing water, so there's no
sewer gas coming in that way, right? What else should I check? Thanks!