Posted to alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Strange electrical problem

They make a door-jamb switch, that automatically turns on the lite when
opened, turns it off when closed.
Proly not the simplest thing to install.
Motion sensor switch?

If worse really comes to worse, you could get two really *brite-assed*
bulbs, and wire them in series.
Would then be a bit of a dull lite, but hey, it's only a closet!
AND, the bulbs would last forgoddammever!
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Tom The Great" wrote in message
On Mon, 01 May 2006 08:46:20 -0400, Tom The Great
wrote:

On 1 May 2006 04:57:01 -0700, "
wrote:

The light in my kids closet burned out. I replaced it and it burned out
w/in a day. I thought I had a bad bulb, so I replaced it again and it
too burned out w/in a day. I decided to put one of those heavy duty
bulbs in, and it burned out the same day. So I figure there is
something wrong with the fixture, and I replace it with a new one. I
put a bulb in and guess what, w/in 2 hours the bulb is burned out!
Weird. I didn't see anything unusual with the wiring when I replaced
the fixture. I don't want to have a fire, so I'm not doing anything
else until i find out what's causing this. Any ideas?

Just realized this was a closet. About the fire concern, that is a
real issue, and the NEC addresses this with distance and lamp holder
restrictions. Please ensure your light meets these requirements.

If they do not, you might want to have a florecent ligth installed for
easier way to meet code, and longer lasting bulbs. I would get a
timer switch too if I was spending the money.

imho,

tom

What I would do:

Only Two, since didn't mention a humid bathroom or something.

1. Check your voltage. Most bulbs are only rate for 120v. Now I
don't think this is your problem, since the very short life, but its a
start.

2. The very short life, makes me wonder about the actual contact
withing the socket. Sometimes if the center contact isn't good, you
get tiny arcing, and over heating. This can effect the life of a bulb
too. Check for proper contact.

One thing that makes me really wonder, is that VERY short life of the
bulbs, might want to try another brand.

imho,

tom @ www.Consolidated-Loans.info