Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
Proctologically Violated©®

Default Vents thru 18" stone walls

Awl--

Somewhat related to my dust collection follies, I want to put another vent
in the garage proper, thru, you guessed it, an 18" foundation wall. I don't
have too many other choices, except mebbe venting down the main sewer.
Inyone done dat??

Drilling the hole--6" diam, I think--is doable, as I got rotary hammers, a
bottle of vitamins, etc...
I figgered I would hammer-drill a dozen or so 3/8-1/2 holes thru, and chip
out the webs, to give a reasonably round 6" hole.

But I would like to support sed hole, once drilled, to thwart cracks that
might emanate from it, if left unsupported.
Possibilities: cast iron drain pipe, or a big-assed steam pipe or
electrical coupling, or any sturdy large pipe.
If I then cemented it in real good, it would relieve stress/re-support the
wall, and give me a clean opening.

Is there standard stuff used for this? Ideally it would be compatible w/
std ductwork.
Is all this a good idea/bad idea? Wife's not crazy about it.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll