Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Paul K. Dickman

Default More cement mixing, and HF vs. HD

I have the HF 3.5 cuft unit (or it's equivalent)
It will mix 2 - 80lb bags at a time but the motor will be lugging. One 80 or
two 60s is more realistic.

I bought it because I needed to do a lot of small jobs and I figured that
even if it was a piece of junk, it only had to take the place of seven half
day rentals to pay for itself. It is still going strong 5 years later. I did
have to replace a belt though.

21 cuft is a lot of bag mix. You will need at least one stout laborer,
preferably two. 10-12 cuft is about as much as I like to do alone. That
takes about a half day of hard work including cleanup.

The drill is this:

turn the tank bolt upright and lay a sack across the mouth, split the sack
and let it dump itself into the tank.
Incline the tank a couple of notches and turn it on to dry mix the
ingredients. This fluffs them up and makes mixing a lot easier.
Keep track of how much water you add. it goes a lot faster if you know in
advance of each load
Listen to the mixer you can hear the load as it becomes mixed and plastic.
It takes 4-5 minutes.

Then dump the load into your and start to place it.

Have your laborer scrape any stuff stuck to the paddles loose and start on
the next batch.

Meanwhile, you spread the mix around building it up in layers and hoeing the
mix into homogeneity while the next load is mixing.

Keep this up til you have enough to strike off.

Paul K. Dickman

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
I spose it could, iffin I moved my Bridgeport and Kalamazoo saw....
My basement is actually ground level where the garage door opens (I'm on a
hill), so the boom could go no higher than about 6-7' off the floor, and
about 50-60 feet in from the street.

But I'm thinking that a 21 cu ft pour (max), or 2/3 cu yd, is too small
for them.
You think a truck w/ a boom would be worth it? I'll check it out, but I
have an idea this would be disproportionate bucks, *if* they would even
come.
Plus, I'm not sure I'd be prepared enough for a truck, as I sorta figger
**** out as I go along....
I've got so many "issues"......
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus11316" wrote in message
So, what is exactly the reason why a concrete truck with a big boom
cannot reach that place that you need concreted.