Andy Dingley

Default Dust Extraction for small workshop

On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 10:05:38 +0100, Peter Ashby
wrote:

Axminster sell a lid for a plastic dustbin with ports on the top as a
cylcone.

I'm not too keen on this gadget, although I've not tried it.

IMHO, it's a drop-box, rather than a cyclone. Probably works well for
thicknesser chips (my biggest DC problem), but it won't stop dust.
There's no central tube to keep the airflows separate and so the
separation efficiency will be poor. It's also quite shallow.

I don't think a dustbin is the best start for a cyclone. It's too
short and squat, and it's huge. I need the workshop floorspace more
than I need that sort of storage volume. A tall, narrow cylinder of
the same overall volume gives better proportions for the cyclone
aspect.