Posted to alt.engineering.electrical,sci.engr.lighting,uk.d-i-y

Default Still possible to get UK plug into standard light pendant

Andy wrote:
I am in the UK.

If I wanted electrical power from an ordinary ceiling lampholder like
one of these:

then it used to be possible to get cyclindrical electrical plug which
bayonetted into the lampholder. A couple of wires could be attached to
that plug and that way it was possible to use power from the light
socket.

Are such things still available?

not legally

Or have they been outlawed by some safety regulations?

banned from sale in '70 or '71

No polarity, no appliance fuse, no earth, very low current rating, and
no realistic cord grip. Plugging them in meant handling the pendant
holder with its often perished partially bare rubber wiring, often also
with no proper cordgrip. They could be endlessly christmas treed too,
unlike square pin adaptors. And of course the BC sockets had uncovered
unprotected live connections, so increasing the use of those while
balanced atop something doesnt help safety any.

They tended to encourage falls from chairs while temporarily dazzled,
burns from light bulbs, and shocks from the rubber wiring and bare
socket pins. They also caused falls at ground level due to wires draped
from on high, and could rip pendants sockets off their wires. And the
bulb burnt the rubber appliance mains flex, making bare live patches
appear. These plugs are even less safe with modern pvc wire.

The whole lighting circuit was fused at 5A, but there are other loads
on it already, plus the bulb holders were typically rated in the region
of 1-2A. I dont know if BC sockets still have current ratings printed
on them. So the power you can not-really-safely draw is low. That didnt
stop people putting silly loads on them though, like irons, heaters,
etc.

Way back, before electricity was metered, it was charged according to
the number of lights you had, and sockets were a lot extra, so it was
common for houses to have lighting but no sockets, hence the spread of
BC plugs.

Later, in the days when round pin sockets were always fittred, it was
common to have just one socket upstairs, in the hallway, and none in
bedrooms. So again BC plugs came the the rescue.

If you decide to make a BC plug, CFLs have a plastic base which is
amenable to drilling, cutting etc and generally ways to fit a cover
securely. You would however be contravening the most basic of
regulations, placing yourself at assorted risks, as well as anyone else
in the house, and I dont know what the insurance co would say in the
event of a claim. Nor the judge.

I cant really think of any reason to use them today. An electric noose
in case suicide by hanging fails? whatever your reason is, I suggest
thinking again.

NT