geoff merryweather

Default The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 23:53:03 +1300, Malcolm Moore
wrote:

We can afford to import more from you but there are other countries
also vying for our business, and if you aren't marketing to us or if
your products are too expensive or if they are badly designed then
we'll buy from someone else. Simple as that.
Your suggestion above would involve a massive bureaucracy to monitor
trade flows in and out, and issue licenses. We don't have that level
of regulation.

Upon the subject of "import licensing" - any New Zealander who
remembers the 1960s and 70s will shudder at the thought. THey made a
few people very, very rich - those with the magic paperwork. You
couldn't bring in a car unless you had "overseas funds" (eg money in
the UK). The local assembled rubbish was on a take it or leave it
basis, with limited supply. heaters and radios were high priced
options. It was not unknown for dealers to buy back a 1 year old car
for more than the new one, as there was a shortage, and of course,
could charge whatever they wanted for an old heap of rubbish (or a now
one).
I can't see the US consumer or the large retailers standing for that
very long.
Geoff