Gary Coffman

Default The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal

On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 18:03:42 GMT, "Ed Huntress" wrote:
"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
.. .
Mmm.. are there not licensing barriers for Professional Engineers,
construction contractors and such like? I think there are *some*
barriers, just not that many.

They really aren't barriers. They're just cases in which you may have to be
licensed in the state in which you practice. My wife went through that with
her teaching certificate. It's just a duplicative bureacratic procedure, not
a barrier against practicing her profession.

It would seem to be a violation of Article IV section 1 of the US Constitution.
That requires each state to provide full faith and credit for the acts of other
states. That's why, for example, your driver's license is good in any state,
not just in the state which issued it.

By the same measure, professional licenses obtained in one state should
be honored by all other states. But they aren't, because the licenses are
primarily a way of implementing state taxes on professionals. (Nearly two
thirds of the questions on the state electrical contractor's exam I took
were about taxes, and the forms required to be filed to allow the state
to collect them.)

Gary