Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.architecture.alternative
Rich256

Default Swamp Cooler to Refrigeration A/C

Abby Normal wrote:
I realize it is hopeless, you are too obtuse to see it any other way

This is moving away from the discussion but think you can answer my
question.

Many years ago, when I lived in the San Fernando Valley I had a
refrigeration unit. The humidity levels there were marginal for use of
a swamp cooler. However, with 30% RH they would provide some cooling.

What bothered me was the compressor/condenser sitting out in the sun at
115 degrees. I had thoughts about getting a window type swamp cooler
and sitting it on the ground by the unit and blowing cooled air on the
coils. I never have heard of anyone doing that.

The 30% RH came with temperatures in the 90s. At 115 the RH was usually
very low.

Do you think that set-up would be worthwhile?

Rheam at that time did make a unit with copper coils. It had pump that
sprayed water on the coils. It had a water tank like a swamp cooler.
About 1/3 the way down the coils was a small trough that caught a little
water which was drained off, keeping the mineral content down.

I remember an office building that had a fountain that was actually the
cooling pond for their air conditioner. They had to raise the fountain
nozzles to get more evaporation when the water got too warm.