Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Owen Lowe

Default Super Nova vs. Oneway Chucks

In article .com,
"robo hippy" wrote:

have stripped 2 of the pinion gears in my smaller Vicmarcs, and broke
the plastic handles on 2 of the keys. I don't try to overtighten

AYE CARUMBA! Really?! Stripped pinion gears? You da MAN!

I've had the smaller Vicmarc (#100) for 4 or 5 years now and have had no
problems with it. Picked up the larger #120 (140?) last fall when I
upgraded my lathe - but no additional jaws for that one yet. The allen
wrench for the #100s jaw screws did break its bond inside the plastic
handle - was able to easily replace it that day with a quick visit to my
local Ace Hardware store.

I believe I've read somewhere that some of the jaws from one maker will
fit the chuck bodies of another. I don't have a reference source for
what fits what, but that would be a valuable file.

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Tips fer Turnin': Place a sign, easily seen as you switch on your lathe, warning you to remove any and all rings from your fingers. Called degloving, extended hardware can grab your ring and rip it off your finger. A pic for the strong of stomach: www.itim.nsw.gov.au/go/objectid/2A3AC703-1321-1C29-70B067DC88E16BFC/index.cfm

Besides, rings can easily mar the surface of a turning as you check for finished smoothness.