Ed Huntress

Default The Dubya's Steel tariffs declaired illegal

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:25:48 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
brought forth from the murky depths:

My guess is that most of the readers here don't know much about New
Zealand's economy, and it would be useful here to inset a capsule

summary.
This is from Nationmaster, and I think it was written in late '01 or

early
'02:

"Since 1984 the government has accomplished major economic restructuring,
transforming New Zealand from an agrarian economy dependent on

concessionary
British market access to a more industrialized, free market economy that

can
compete globally. This dynamic growth has boosted real incomes (but left
behind many at the bottom of the ladder), broadened and deepened the

Wow, they have become JUST LIKE US!
(I wish the best of luck to the Kiwis for that.)

Many US sourced products are uncompetitive in the
world market anyway.

Right. That's why we have higher levels of exports than any country in

the
world.

I love that 180° agreement, Ed.

When you here a statement like the one above, it's almost always an
eye-opener to step back, think about what it means, and then look at the
actual numbers.

It's not a good idea to do this with the current Budget Office predictions
for US deficits or Social Security over the next five or ten years, however.
It will make you turn blue in the face. g

Ed Huntress