Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jeff Liebermann

Default Toshiba satellite USB Ports Broken Need help

lid (harrisod) hath wroth:

Have ordered the USB Ports. Thanks for the great Web sites for
ordering the USB parts.

Good luck. Taking apart laptops and replacing USB connectors is no
fun. Here's a very similar A75-S213 Toshiba laptop that I
disassembled for repair:
http://802.11junk.com/jeffl/pics/A75-S213/
Incidentally, this particular laptop did a splendid job of overheating
and shutting down, even after two wasted trips back to Toshiba under
warranty.

For those wondering how the USB ports got broken, its becasue the
Laptop is used by several users and they all like to use pocket
drives. It appears that the pocket drives get bumped when moving the
laptop around. I've instructed them to never move or carry the laptop
with the pocket drives plugged in, anymore. We'll see how long the
next ports last.

Most of the broken USB connectors I see are from wireless USB mice.
People tend to forget that the receiver is stuck in the back of the
laptop. They then shove the laptop into the carrying bag and bang it
around a bit. Instead of the cheap mouse receiver destroying itself,
the USB connector peels itself off the motherboard. Trying to get
users to remove peripherals before morphing into a road warrior is
difficult.

Also, be careful with laptop bags that have enough room for the power
supply in the same compartment as the laptop. Such bags are an open
invitation to throwing the laptop into the bag with the DC power
connector still attached. Instant broken connector, every time.
Eventually, the industry will figure out that magnetically retained
connectors is the way to go, as in the new Apple MacBook Pro.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D