Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair
Proctologically Violated©®

Default More cement mixing, and HF vs. HD

Very illuminating replies.

Actually, Ig, a cu yd, at 0.6 cu ft per 80 lb bag, would be 45 bags of ready
mix--and 3600#--2 full loads in m'pickup.

But I had no idea sand/gravel was so cheap.
Figgers HD charges an *order of magnitude* more for stuff than would
legitimate suppliers--the smaller quantities notwithstanding.

My own situation, tho, sort of condemns me to buying sacks--of something or
other.
The pouring location is remote from a drop-off point, miserable to transport
inside, AND I'm only able pour an approx. 3 foot by 14 foot patch at a given
time, approx. 6" deep, for about 21 cu ft--more than I would want to mix w/
a shovel (uh, Ig, uh, back problems??? g), but not enough to benefit from
a pickup truck full of loose sand/gravel or or to justify a cement truck.
I figger at 0.6 cu ft per bag ready mix, I'll need about 35 bags or so for
each pour.
Plus, ready mix will eliminate a few more variables that I might screw up.

So it seems I will go w/ ready mix, but I will almost surely *not* buy from
HD--on GP, and bec. it's such a g-d hassle, what w/ the insultingly long
lines, humping around those g-d trolleys, etc.
A normal supplier will either deliver (often for free), or load yer truck
for you--so much easier, even if you had to pay more, and most often you
don't have to.

Also, I have visions of effing HD ceo Bob Nardelli laughing at the human
cattle on long HD lines, via hidden camera...... which has gotta be better
than porn, for a social fabric-eating bidnissman/entreepreeneer.

The idea of getting a used mixer is neat, as well. I don't hold out too
much hope for this, but it would indeed tickle me not to give HD $300 for
their chinese import--even tho I have a HD/Husky compressor that I'm pretty
pleased with--esp. the floor price I got it for.

Later, for kicks I'd like to compare truck-delivered concrete w/ buying the
components from a good supplier, and vs. bagged ready mix.

Appreciate all the insights.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
"Ignoramus19383" wrote in message
On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 21:28:30 -0600, James "Cubby" Culbertson
wrote:

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote in message
Awl--

In my shop-floor pouring travails (at least preparing for them), I
gained
some inneresting insights.

Just how much floor area are you trying to pour? More than a few feet
(cubic) and you'd be better off just getting a truck in there.
Otherwise
you'll have nothing but a zillion cold joints from you trying to mix it
all
by hand. There is a time and place for mixing your own and a
slab/floor
is probably not one of them unless it's quite small.

Let's do some math, one cubic yard pour would be 27 bags, at 3 minutes
per bag with a wheelbarrow, it would amount to 81 minutes per cubic
yard. I do not think that slow concrete would even begin to solidify
during this time frame.

As the amount of work rises beyond a cubic yard, issues of cold joints
would become more important.

At 6 inches thickness, a cubic yard would cover 54 square feet.

If he has a 20x20 area, that would be 400 square feet, and that means
about 8 cubic yards, or 216 bags of concrete, or 648 minutes of mixing
time using a wheelbarrow.

That's a big effort. If PV buys a HF concrete mixer, (aside from it
likely to just croak), he still needs to bring 216 bags of concrete,
which does not seem like fun if he did it by himself.

I think that a concrete truck would be the best choice for pouring a
floor.