Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
robo hippy

Default Super Nova vs. Oneway Chucks

While I haven't seen the Super Nova up close and personal, when I saw
it in a catalog, I thought it was a Vicmarc. I have 3 Vicmarcs, and
love them. The only thing I can compare them to are one of the Novas
with the tommy bars instead of a key. I didn't like that one at all.
The keyed chucks do hold better and require only one hand to tighten. I
have stripped 2 of the pinion gears in my smaller Vicmarcs, and broke
the plastic handles on 2 of the keys. I don't try to overtighten, as I
have broken a few feet (recesses/mortices) off on my bowls, but must
admit to being one who believes that if all else fails, it is nice to
be able to rely on brute strength. You will be happy with the upper end
chucks.
robo hippy