Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.architecture.alternative
Abby Normal

Default Swamp Cooler to Refrigeration A/C

The term effective relates to how the dry bulb temperature of air can
be lowered using evaporative cooling. If it was 100% effective, then
the dry bulb temperature would be depressed down to the wet bulb
temperature.

With air ambient air at 105 db and 65 wb, if you could apply
evaporative cooling that was 100% effective you would have saturated
air at 65F.

To further explain effectiveness as used when a process is 80%
effective the dry bulb temperature is depressed by 80% of the
theoretical maximum, in this case by 0.80 x (105-65)= 32 degrees. With
a typical 80% effectiveness, air entering at 105 db 65 wb, would leave
at 73 wb and 65 db.

You were using the term 'perfect' earlier and in a previous thread
using it to describe air that was saturated before being blown through
hollow blocks under a floor. This implied a 100% effective situation.

So in my ealier example I went through how much air a 100% effective
outdoor unit and indoor unit would go through, and previously I think
you were saying to set the dehumidistat at 60%. You then were talking
about 55% humidity so I re-did the indoor calc with 80F 55% air getting
humidified.

You should be able to follow through my example, just keep in mind the
conversion factor of 7000 when dealing with grains vs pounds and you
should do fine.

There will be some fan heat as an indoor unit pulls air through a media
as well. Plus then energy to run an exhaust fan. Indoor scheme will use
more energy to run fans. So combined you are moving a lot more air with
the indoor scheme and running two fans.

I think you will find that the indoor unit works best when the make up
air is ducted directly to it. Then when you explore the concept more,
you may realize that it will work the best when you just treat outside
air and do not recirculate.

The 2003 handbook goes into some mixed air applications, but you will
notice they are not using the conditioned space as a mixing box for
some strange reason.

They have an automatic on/off switch called a thermostat by the way. It
can trigger a fan to run, a pump to pump. It is an improvement over a
simple on/off switch due to the fact that it is a heat activated
switch.

The flooded floor scheme is a dog named Rube.