Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Barry N. Turner

Default Super Nova vs. Oneway Chucks

I have an old-style Super Nova chuck, along with several different jawsets.
I began using it on my Jet mini lathe. In January of 2005, I bought a
Stubby 750 and have turned some rather large and heavy pieces (by my
standards, anyway). When dealing with really heavy green bowl blanks, I
start my turnings on a faceplate, then switch to the chuck after the blank
is lighter and balanced. The Super Nova has proven to be quite serviceable.
I am anticipating the purchase of a Super Nova II, as I understand it is a
great improvement over the original Super Nova.

Most semi-professional/professional turners swear by Oneway Stronghold
chucks. Others swear by Vicmarcs. I do admit to wondering if they are
really that much better than my Super Nova, but I'm not convinced. Since
the jawsets are not interchangeable between the brands, I suppose I will
just buy another Super Nova.

Barry

"Bassboat" wrote in message
Hi, my name is John and I am new to this group. I am also new to
woodturning.
I would like some advice as to which chuck to buy for my Jet 14-42 lathe.
Can
someone give me some good advice? TIA.
John