Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default carbide tipped boring bars

Probably on our web site. (We have a new version of our book Building
Superior Brazed Tools.) Our specialization is in high end applications
such as very narrow saw tips in mills, oil well heads, satellites, etc.
You are correct that the choice of alloy can make a huge difference.

However less expensive alloys can also work very well as the need for
bond strength and impact resistance drops. Arguably you need greater
strengths for a saw tip than for a braze joint in an air conditioning
system. Depending on the braze area (the bigger the better) and the
amount and direction of the force applied a much less expensive alloy
can be suitable.

Tom