Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default Consumer Reports and choice of stainless kitchen sink - C-Tech-I?

"nopcbs" wrote in message

For the stainless set,
they found there was NO correlation between price/gauge and dent
resistence or resistence to scratching or noisiness. That's with 18 to
23 gauge steel. And the noise pads made no reliable difference in
noise, either. They ended up no even ranking the brands as there was no
correlation of anything with brand. This is NOT what the Home
depot/Lowes people say about gauge thickness, they always claim the
thicker gauge will scratch less which is ridiculous since scratches are
a function of hardness, not thickness. End of credibility for them.

I have not read the report, but can offer a few comments here.

I do not know if all SS sinks are made of the same material. There are MANY
alloys which are called stainless.

Then there's hardness, which will also impact stiffnes or resistance to
scratches. Thickenss itself should have no impact on scratching, but on
resistance to denting. But it all depnends on alloy.

This CR result is not what I expected, but I do like the result. Means
no point in blowing $500 and up on a sink when a $200 one will very
likley work as well in all regards. I never could understand why a
piece of press-formed stainless should cost the many, many hundreds of
dollars (even thousands) some of these things cost, anyway.

I have not shopped for a sink lately, so do not know what material is used.
I'm not even sure that what you read is correct, as it may be a generic
description.

I suspect some sinks are made from "whatever the purchasing people get" for
that run. Hence the results CR has obtained.

RichK