Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills

Default Central heating won't turn off!

Mike Lane wrote:

Hi

Seems like the problem is a stiff Honeywell motorised valve on the
heating side. I took the cover off and forced down the mechanism.
Now, the pump has stopped and I get the resistance on the lever at
the top. However, I think that when the water comes on, the pump
might reactivate again. But at least, I can leave the programmer
powered up without the pump coming on automatically.
Is there a way of lubricating the valve or do I need to replace it?
Thanks to all of you who took the trouble to respond to my original
post.
Mike

Not sure you can lubricate them, as such. But you can sometimes free them up
by turning them backwards and forwards a few times. With any luck you should
be able to remove the actuator from the 'wet' part of the valve, allowing
you to get at the shaft which is normally rotated by the actuator. You
should be able to turn the shaft by gripping it with fingers and thumb or,
at worst, by using only light pressure with pliers.

Try working it a bit to get it moving freely. If you can't, you'll have to
replace it. Remember that, when motor current is removed, there is only a
spring return to close the valve. If the valve is too stiff for the spring
to move, it will remain open - with the symptoms which you have experienced.
--
Cheers,
Roger