Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin Evans

Default Brake cylinder sleeving

On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 17:51:15 -0400, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

I had some like problems with old Volvos. Water would get in somehow,
over time. My solution was to periodically flush the entire brake
system with brand new fluid, thus getting rid of all water and dirt that
had somehow gotten in.

Moisture comes in primarily through the flexible hoses and the vent on
the top of the master cylinder. The best solution is not DOT 5
Silicone which just masks the problem, allowing water droplet pooling
in the calipers, compressibility and ultimately causing more problems
that it claims to solve. The best solution is that adopted on some
modern vehicles especially from those manufacturers not obsessed with
zero maintenance for 100,000 miles and all the other crap - moisture
testing in the master cylinder reservoir at every service and/or
regular fluid changes.

Changing the fluid every year and using DOT 4 will suffice for the
majority of applications. Carried out with a pressure bleeder it
takes half an hour at most, I know some people that have spent many
more hours than that on attempting to solve the problems created by
the use of the "superior" silicone fluid.