Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Small sheet metal brake?

On Sun, 30 Apr 2006 09:11:55 +0100, "Autolycus"
wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

I'm on the lookout for a small sheet metal brake (folder) to modify
the ally chassis on a little 12th scale electric RC car my daughter
wants to build, race and maintain herself (well that's one excuse bor
buying another tool g) and for general bending-things in the
workshop afterwards

snip

I've seen small vice-mounted folders being sold at car restoration
shows: the ones I've seen were nigh-on useless. Folding anything much
longer than a few inches, and thicker than a bit of Bacofoil, resulted
in a nice tight radius at the outer ends ballooning out to a vague curve
in the middle, where the formers deflect.

Understood. I know it's surprising how stiff something like that has
to be to 'work' in that environment. What seem like a very substantial
lump of stell can be fery 'springy' under the right loads?

Some models may be better than others, but I wouldn't risk even 25 quid
without seeing if it worked on the size of materials I wanted to use.

Ok ;-( (makes sense though ..)

Buying one with a greater length capability than needed may also result
in one that produces poorer results.

More chance of 'flex' ..

And of course, cheap ones have no
"box & pan" capability, which mackled-up arrangements of lumps of steel
can have.

Hmm .. so start mackling you say then .. ?

All the best ..

T i m