Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default FX-6A flashtube availability and data

According to Joseph Gwinn :
In article ,
(DoN. Nichols) wrote:

[ ... ]

Or -- unless I'm carrying the coil and needle assembly to
elsewhere, to get other tools for adjusting the spring which I had just
soldered on, and the spring separated from my solder joint somewhere
over a *very* cluttered shop floor.

So -- on to the spare-parts machine on eBay. :-(

The alternative is to find another meter to act as a spring
donor.

Damn!

Well ... I just won the spare parts one on eBay for $24.95. As
I expected, there were no other bidders, given the *obviously* missing
parts.

[ ... ]

Good plan, though I had not done any filings generating work on
that bench. There is a shear on it, and a corner notching shear, and a
reloading press, none of which tend to generate filings.

But they do generate slivers.

Yes -- but have mostly been used on aluminum, which at least
tends to generate non-magnetic slivers. :-)

[ ... ]

A new retirement business - fixing meter movements. Then, move up to
crashed disk drives.

I've obviously got to get better at it, first. :-)

Well, use a carrying pan. I go to yard sales and the like, and get old
stainless steel cookware for use in the shop: they make good parts
trays, and are solvent-proof.

Yes -- I had thought that the hairspring was firmly soldered to
the coil, so I wasn't worried. *wrong*!. :-(

[ ... ]

Exactly. It was mostly the same people working on both, at least the
MIT crowd. Edgerton was a MIT professor.

But this was an army lab, working only with optical stuff,
including the lasers as long-distance illuminators. No RADAR stuff
there.

Where was this?

U.S. Army Night Vision Labs (at that time -- it has since gone
through quite a few name changes -- once three in a single year. :-)
Location was (and still is Ft. Belvoir, VA.)

[ ... ]

Nope -- but I did (on a bet) cut a power cord with a pair of
diagonal pliers without insulating gloves. I just made sure to specify

[ ... ]

The classic dodge is to nip the power cord halfway, cutting one wire at
a time. Easy with flat cable, harder with round cable, but not
impossible. But I assume that the point of the bet was to make a big
bang and yet survive to collect.

Of course. :-) It was a length of zip cord -- the cord for one
of the early Ungar soldering irons, IIRC -- the ones with the screw-in
heating elements, instead of the later ones which plug-in elements.

I gather you won the bet.

Yes.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |