Posted to rec.woodworking
Fly-by-Night CC

Default How long does a bandsaw blade last?

In article ,
"Toller" wrote:

How do I clean the blade? Plastic wool did nothing at all. Thanks.

I think your wander may be running into dullness of the blade - 160' is
a fair amount for a carbon steel edge. I touch up my bands with a dremel
and chainsaw stone - just a quick touch on the underside of each
tooth/gullet.

The way I clean off the sappy compacted sawdust residue from green wood
cutting is to run the saw and carefully, using a scrap piece of dry wood
in a sharp wedge shape, scrape the sides of the blade. If it's really
bad, I'll occasionally stop the saw and rotating the top wheel backwards
by hand will use the same scraping action. Call me foolhardy, but I even
use the scraper wedge on the tires as it's running - just make sure you
have a good grip so it's not pulled out of your hand and between the
blade and tire.

Having roller guides on my saw really packs the wet saw dust on the
blade - I have a metal scraper that I keep magnet-ed to the saw and very
carefully and gingerly (though I prefer Mary Ann) scrape the blade body
but keep back of the gullets. This is more risky of dulling the teeth
real quick if you slip onto the tooth area...
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05