Posted to rec.woodworking
mac davis

Default How long does a bandsaw blade last?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 12:04:43 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I am cutting some walnut lumber. Using the advice I got here, and a new
Timberwolf 3tpi blade, things have been going reasonably well. The first 40
cuts (4' long, averaging 5" thick) were perfectly straight, but the last few
have developed a significant drift angle; the ends have become too thin to
be used and the wood is getting curved. I readjusted everything, but it
doesn't help. All I can think is that the blade is getting dull, but I
would expect a blade to last much longer than this.
Frankly though, I am a complete beginner with a band saw (14" Delta 1hp) and
really don't know. It was actually getting easier as I picked up a little
skill in feeding the wood, but I can't continue like this.

Could the blade be getting dull after 160' of 5" thick fresh walnut, or is
there another possibility I am over looking. Thanks.

IMHO, from 5 minutes to several weeks.. *g*

I buy pretty good quality blades, made up at a local saw shop.. If I'm cutting
dry wood for pen blanks or kiln dried and FLAT wood for bowl blanks, they seem
to last forever...

OTOH, cutting green wood usually beats them up pretty fast... my guess is
because not only does the green wood drag more, which heats the blade, but you
get more twists and binds because the surface resting on the table is not going
to be real flat and square..

I think that if I cut 160 feet of 5" stock with the same blade, I'd feel pretty
good about it... YMWV

Usually the first sign that my blade is not sharp anymore is wander... much like
a drill bit that is clogged or dull will wander on a deep hole...
I think that instead of cutting what you put in front of it, it tends to follow
grain or stress patterns or something, what ever the "point of least resistance"
is.. (just a WAG)

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis