Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m

Default Small sheet metal brake?

On 29 Apr 2006 11:18:58 -0700, wrote:

I'm on the lookout for a small sheet metal brake (folder) to modify
the ally chassis on a little 12th scale electric RC car my daughter
wants to build, race and maintain herself (well that's one excuse bor
buying another tool g) and for general bending-things in the
workshop afterwards

Its probably as quick to make one.

Well I generally like to make things but 25 quid 'delivered' I could
be making more interesting things ;-)

Thats what I did. A sheet of wood
hinged to another sheet with a long bar handle added for leverage, plus
add a bar over the top at the bending line to bend the metal against. I
put different radii on the different corners of the bar, rutn it round
to get the various sized radius bends.

Sounds very versatile ;-)

Its all wood, 1" thick base, and uses 3 heavy duty 4" steel hinges. The
hinges are only just strongly enough attached to the wood when bending
19" of 1.6mm steel, I needed to use 4" screws as the 2" ones pulled out
at first.

Ouch .. ;-)

The other thing I'd do differnt next time is use something
much meatier than 2x2 softwood bar for the metal to bend against, I
have to stand on this bar to stop it bending when bending the max size
of metal.

Hmm, and is the 'former' the bit that was screwed down (and bends)?

Food for thought though ..

All the best ..

T i m