Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart

Default Small sheet metal brake?

On Sat, 29 Apr 2006 13:45:57 GMT, "Cicero" wrote:

"T i m" wrote in message
.. .
Hi All,

I'm on the lookout for a small sheet metal brake (folder) to modify
the ally chassis on a little 12th scale electric RC car my daughter
wants to build, race and maintain herself (well that's one excuse bor
buying another tool g) and for general bending-things in the
workshop afterwards

Previously I have just set the sheet between two bits of steel (bar,
angle or square tube) in the vice (and some clamps) and worked the
bend with a soft hammer / drift bar etc but I fancy something a bit
more sophisticated now ;-)

These folk seem to offer something in my price range .. (24.96
delivered g)

http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/

(scroll down to "18" Mini Bending Brakes")

.. but has anyone seen something I could actualy 'touch / play with /
take-away' in a local shed / chain that would be similar price / spec
please?

I would probably adapt the above one to 'vice mount' in any case by
bolting it to a bit of h/d angle ..

All the best ..

T i m

===========================
If you're anywhere near a 'Machine Mart' store they will usually allow you
to examine tools to see how they work / how good they are. I've had one
like this for years:

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/product...0&r=2044&g=106

It's actually quite easy to make such benders - just a modification of your
'two bits of angle iron' really.

You might also consider a small flypress as they're much more versatile.

Cic.

You could also try http://www.frost.co.uk/default.asp

Stuart