Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.photography
Dave Plowman (News)

Default What nut size to fit tripod screw?

In article .com,
Pat wrote:
That's what I love about this newsgroup -- its international flare and
the ability to not know what the heck people are talking about. I
don't have a clue as what UNC or UNF is.

In fact, I didn't know there was an attempt to standardize threads
between the UK and US car industry. In fact, one doesn't think about
the UK car industry much, except when James Bond movies are on -- and I
thought he even switch brands.

Mainly based on American Fine and American Coarse with some subtle
differences. Came about just after WW2 when the UK was exporting many cars
to the US - long before James Bond. ;-) In use up until the mid '70s when
metrification came about. Which is why few garages would have BSW nuts and
bolts since they haven't been in common use on cars for about 50 years. ;-)

--
*Husbands should come with instructions

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.