Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.photography
John Fryatt

Default What nut size to fit tripod screw?

Pat wrote:
That's what I love about this newsgroup -- its international flare and
the ability to not know what the heck people are talking about. I
don't have a clue as what UNC or UNF is. We just have inch and metric
over here (or I guess, over "there" depending where you are). It keeps
the tool kit down to two completely different sets of sockets and
wrenches.

In fact, I didn't know there was an attempt to standardize threads
between the UK and US car industry.

Hmmm, we had one once, but it's gone down the tubes, sadly. Still a few
smaller companies around though, and a lot of the motor racing business
is based here.
According to what I hear the US car industry is in a bad way as well.
All cars will probably come from Asia before long, except for a few
ridiculously expensive Rolls-Royces and German machines. I saw a TV prog
that featured the (Mercedes) Maybach recently - whew, talk about
conspicuous consumption!

In fact, one doesn't think about
the UK car industry much, except when James Bond movies are on -- and I
thought he even switch brands.

He did have a brief dalliance with a BMW, but now he's back with Aston
Martin I believe.