Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chips

Default Fluorescent TFT ?

T i m wrote:
Hi All,

My daughter has a 4' fluorescent lamp over her work area ( it's under
her high wall mounted bed with a cover over the outward facing side)
and its fine for *us* (plenty of light for her, cheap to run for me!)
;-).

She mentioned yesterday that it didn't start properly (flickering /
buzzing) so I guess I'm looking at a new tube and or starter (I can't
remember when it was last changed .. probably not good ..) but I
thought I remembered reading here about 'alternative' fancy fluo's
that may be more suitable for this job especially as she now has her
PC TFT under there (although its not under the main lamp beam as
such).

She does often do 'art' there so something that gives a good spectrum
of light would probably be a good thing (maybe a solution where we
could get a range of tubes and see what feels best)?

So what am I looking for please, or do I just replace existing
shrug?

All the best ..

T i m

I use daylight simulation bulbs (DSBs) in all of the lamps and lights in
my light-controlled lab. They have two things going for them: they
produce a light that makes colours look the same as in daylight, so
obviously good for art; they may make you feel less tired than
conventional bulbs. I have no technical justification for the second
property, maybe it's just how it affects me, but the light boxes that
SAD (seasonally affecting disorder) people use have 'em in.

You can get DSBs in fluorescent and low energy format as well, Google
gives these guys as suppliers:
http://www.lightbulbs-direct.com/sea...nt&show=n ear

I understand that plants grow better with DSBs as well (as the nefarious
chemical boys will tell you).

Chips.

--
Chips'll make it better.