Posted to alt.home.repair
Kevin Ricks

Default Yet another GFIC question

"Doug Kanter" wrote in message
news
In my bathroom, there's a double wall box with GFIC outlet on one side,
and a pair of switches on the right. One switch controls the fan, and the
other controls the light in the fan. Occasionally, when I switch the fan
OFF, the button in the GFIC outlet pops. I know I need to check all the
connections in this circuit, but still, a question: Why run the fan
through the protected circuit to begin with? Nobody can touch the fan &
light.

I have one of those light/fan combo units in my basement bathroom.
The PO had all fed from a GFCI outlet and 1 switch for both fan and light.
I rewired to have fan and light on separate switches. When I did this the
GFCI tripped every time I turned the fan off. With both light and fan on the
same switch the GFCI never tripped.
I could never figure out why. I even swapped GFCI's. I ended up taking the
fan/light off of the GFCI. The GFCI still will trip when turning off the
fan but not very often now.

Kevin