Posted to alt.home.repair
mrsgator88

Default Trees and Neighbors

"RichK" wrote in message
He has asked me to "do something about it" as it's my tree and the roots
"pose a problem" to his lawnmower and possibly children. Mind you, he has
no children.

I suggested that he deal with the roots as he pleases. This however would
make the tree weaker and at that point he could tell me that the tree is a
hazard. Albeit caused by him.

In my town you are responsible for the part of the tree on your property,
but, in dealing with a tree, you cannot damage the tree. I think these laws
are typical but still. So the roots are probably your neighbor's problem,
and he's probably SOL if he wants to do something about it, but double check
with your city building department.