Posted to alt.home.repair
Grumman-581

Default Tornado shelter/safe room

wrote in message
ups.com...
lets imagine a car on top of a shelter.

You can't protect against everything...You have to look at what is likely
given the possible disasters where you are at and what risks you might be
willing to take... I would not have a problem with one of my vehicles on top
of a garage shelter since they are high enough off the ground that I could
still open the door and get out... Around here, we tend to only get F-1 and
F-2 tornados, not like the massive ones up in Tornado Alley... A more
significant concern around here would be flooding from a tropical storm or
huricane... Underground shelters are not necessary the best idea in a
flood... Having your backup generators underground is especially not a good
idea in a flood as many companies learned when the Houston area was hit by
Tropical Storm Alison a few years back...

someone menioned cellphones, in a emergency forget them.

Depends upon the situation... Around here, with the F-1 and F-2 tornados,
damage tends to be rather localized and it's quite possible that a cell
phone might still work...

on landbased phones backups are good for a week, by federal law.

Assuming the lines are still up... Kind of depends upon whether the lines
are on poles or in the ground... In the ground, you might be able to put an
emergency phone in your undergound shelter, but since the NID is located
above ground and since that is where you would tie in the line for your
shelter's phone, it that area gets destroyed, your shelter is without an
emergency phone...

alowc some extra space, your neighbors will want protection too

Let 'em spend their own money for their own shelter... Unless they bring
beer, of course...