Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default APC smartups 2000 cap replacement.

I have an APC smartups 2000 that needs some repair. Our lab has had
this unit for several years and finally told us the battery was in need
of replacement. I have been tasked with getting it working again.

After examining the UPS and seeing it will not power up I discovered
the end of one of the two bennic 250VAC 20uf capacitors has deformed
and that whole end is kind of swollen. It looks to me to be the problem
(I also detect the faint smell of magic smoke). I think the capacitor
type is polypropylene and foil but APC is less then helpful, preferring
I buy a new UPS. I note APC has a white paper about failure of
capacitors in UPS systems, but is mostly then stroking themselves about
some new design of theirs.

Are there many replacement types I can use or should I try to hunt down
an exact replacement? I figure that I need to keep the values the same
but I assume if I can only get close (in uf) I will need to replace
both so that the pair is still matched.

Input from anyone having had to deal with this before is appreciated.