Posted to rec.woodworking
Roger Bigras

Default How do I know if I need a new switch for 240v?

Toller wrote:
"Mike Marlow" wrote in message

"Toller" wrote in message

The Switch (A regular switch that is) is ok if you flip it one way and
the motor starts and if you flip it the other way the motor stops.

False. The switch is ok if that occurs, *and* the switch is rated for

both

the
voltage and the amperage that it's switching. Better still if the
switch
disconnects all of the hot conductors going to the motor.

Well, that's false also. A switch for a motor has to be rated for the hp

of

the motor. You can be okay on voltage and amperage and still fry the
switch. It happened on my used table saw; the switch fused closed.

Please Toller - go study ohm's law.

Please Mike, go study motors and switches. Motors have properties that are
not covered by ohm's law. (can you say "impedence"? Can you say "starting
current"? Didn't think so.)

Impedance is the resistive value when a capacitor is used in conjunction
to a frequency. in a motor a capacitor is use to lighten the load when
the motor starts and basically does not much afterwards. As I can See
Toller, your not well respected on your comments in this news group.
further more, the others in this newsgroup seem to take what is spoken
and elaborate on it, while your simply trying to knock someone down.
Well if this is your "thing" let it be so, the rest of us will simply
keep on sawing while your trying to make yourself better than others.

I though news groups were to help and discuss issues not to black ball
others????

To the other's, I'd like to present myself, as an electronics hobbies
that also likes wood working. I've been scanning the threads for quite
some times now, "about 9 months" I like the conversations and the good
hearted replies that come from all of you. Keep up the good spirit.

I've learned so much from this newsgroup. Kooda to all.

Roger Bigras.

And my 10Cents for Toller.
Either Ohm's law is
V=IR
or
E=IR
or
P=IV
or
w=IV

In my book, 2X2 = 4 The variable is irrelevant to the equation, If you
know the watts that a horsepower takes, then the rest is MATH.

And as I said!!!!!!!! If the calculations are correct then the switch
will work! Final period. Otherwise Your wasting Your time.

So in the future, If I don't reply to any of your comments, You'll know
why. If you don't, You will when you can figure out E=MC^2

Till Then have fun dissing people.

Roger.